W.A Production is one of the best-known and highly renowned audio/sample pack manufacturers, and now we have the Vocal Splitter plugin, which I would be reviewing shortly...
In this review guide, you would learn…
- The Features of Vocal Splitter
- If it is worth using at all
- and more, let’s get started…
VocalSplitter is a clean and handy tool for turning mono signals, specifically 'Vocal Samples' into a pristine stereo sound. Seriously - You can use it on a number of audio materials. All that matters is creativity!
It also includes frequency and drives parameters to help your vocal performances stand out from the crowd.
Vocal Splitter Chemistry
If you are interested in the science of how Vocal Splitter does its thing, then here is how it works under the hood -
It uses a combination of a phase-offset vibrato effect (that splits the left and right channel by asymmetrically detuning the channels) and an asymmetrical rectification of the left and right signal (creating a better-defined stereo image).
Combining these two effects in one plugin is an especially effective way to create a defined stereo split vocal signal with minimal phasing.
This can be achieved with some combination of stereo plugins, but with Vocal Splitter, you can dial a couple of knobs and you are good to go. That said, let's get to know some of its modules.
The Mix Knob
As you have probably guessed, the mix sets the dry/wet ratio of the original signal and added stereo signal. Also, if you want to listen to the added stereo effect in solo mode, you press the Mute Source button, muting the source signal so that you only hear Vocal Splitter’s processed audio.
You can also control the level of the stereo signal you want to be added by playing with the mix knob.
The Speed & Depth Knob
As explained above - "Vocal Splitter uses a combination of a phase-offset vibrato effect", the speed and depth knob controls the behavior of the phase-offset vibrato effect that splits the left and right channels, you
The channels are asymmetrically detuned and these dials adjust that effect so that you can achieve any intensity of processing, from subtle thickening to full-on doubling.
The Drive Knob
This lets you control the saturation-like effect and brings the stereo image back in towards the center.
The Filters Knob
This one is my favorite feature, it supports both high pass and low pass filters, which filters the added stereo signal, this is useful for automation and or if you want the effect to only apply to a specific frequency range and avoid unwanted phasing in the low end.
Note: The Vocal Splitter logo acts as a bypass control for the whole plugin and is smoothed to click and pop free for unhindered A/B testing.
Is Vocal Splitter Worth Using?
Here is who I think would benefit from Vocal Splitter:
- Anyone looking for a simple, inexpensive, and good plugin for turning a mono source into a wide stereo sound
Vocal Splitter is not recommended if:
- If you can perform the features manually or you already have a plugin that does something similar
- Your sounds are already wide enough!
Vocal Splitter Pricing
As of the time of writing this review, Vocal Splitter is reasonably priced at $29.00
- Create wide and modern vocals from a mono source
- Presets for one-click transformations
- Speed & Depth set the power of effect
- Drive dial to add grit and increase definition
- Mute Source button for using effect as a send
- Click-free bypass
- Minimal phasing
- Full PDF Manual & Tutorial video
- Windows 7 or higher (32 / 64 bit)
- Mac OSX 10.7 or higher (32 / 64 bit)
- AAX - ProTools 11 or higher
- An internet connection is required to authorize and use this software.
Get Vocal Splitter by W.A Production