I recently published a review and buyer’s guide on the top ten best noise-cancellation headphones you should buy if you are the type looking for sleek and higher-grade noise-canceling headphones.
Furthermore, I broke down the terms, and enumerate the advantages, and drawbacks of using noise-canceling headphones. However, the headphones recommended in our last guide are a bit pricey and not recommended for those on a decent budget.
In this review guide, I will walk you through some of the factors you should consider when buying a noise-cancellation headphone. Lastly, I'll sum up the post by recommending the best-handpicked noise-canceling headphones for under 150 dollars.
- What Are The Factors To Consider When Buying Noise-Cancelling Headphones Under $150
- Passive or Active Noise Cancelling
- Wired or Wireless
- Over-ear or In-ear Headphones
- Best Noise Cancellation Headphones Under 150
- 1. Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WHCH710N
- 2. Philips PH805 Active Noise Canceling (ANC)
- 3. Plantronics Wireless Noise Cancelling Backbeat
- 4. Utaxo Bluetooth Headphone [2019 Upgraded]
- 5. Sennheiser HD 450BT Bluetooth
- 6. Cleer Audio, Enduro ANC Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 7. Philips H9505 Hybrid Active Noise Canceling
- 8. JBL Lifestyle E65BTNC Over-Ear Bluetooth ANC
- 9. Avantree Aria Me - Bluetooth Headphones with Charging Stand & Mic
- 10. Creative Zen Hybrid (White) Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation
What Are The Factors To Consider When Buying Noise-Cancelling Headphones Under $150
Passive or Active Noise Cancelling
If you are interested in listening to your music or making calls without outside noise influence, then you should definitely know the difference between Passive or Active Cancellation.
Passive Noise Cancellation:
Passive Noise blocks outside noise by the materials that they are made out of. They are made to cover your ear completely, the reason for this is to focus the attention of the ear in listening to what's coming out of the headphone speakers alone. It doesn't require any electronic circuits to reduce the noises outside your headphones. Hence, they are cheaper than ANC headphones.
The drawback of Passive Noise Cancellation - It can only reduce noise that has medium or high frequencies (not great for lower frequencies reduction).
Due to the effort put into the materialization of passive treatment, it can be a bit heavy and would hurt if used for a long.
Active Noise Cancellation:
Inside a pair of active noise-canceling headphones, there are microphones designed to pick up unwanted ambient noise.
Having done that, it builds a waveform of the picked noises and passes it to the digital signal processor which analyses the sound, and neglects the unwanted noise.
This method of noise cancellation does require electronic circuits and is a bit expensive compared to Passive headphones.
The drawback of Active Noise Cancellation - They are a bit more expensive than passive headphones
Without adequate power, an active noise-canceling headphone won’t be able to function properly (sorted that out in my recommendations).
In some cases where the noise is unbearable, it might reduce the audio quality and add a hissing sound.
Wired or Wireless
This is a matter of choice, and there are lots of options to choose from, some noise-canceling headphones come bundled with a wired cable and a BlueTooth connection, so it's a matter of which should you use in a specific condition. However, there are other noise-canceling headphones that are wired-specific or wireless-only.
If you would be going for both, then that's great, if you would be going for wireless-only headphones, note that they only last up to 10 - 20 hours, and if your choice of preference is a wired-only headphone, then you don't have to worry about charging, just pick up the cable, and start listening to great music :).
Over-ear or In-ear Headphones
Over-ear headphones have larger earcups and rest directly on your skull. The reason over-ear is considered better and strong is the fact that they are bigger, and have larger drivers which result in a clearer representation of the actual sound (flat response). They are also comfortable since they sit completely around the ears, and don't apply much pressure to the ear (thou, it obviously depends on the material), the only downside is that they are bigger, and aren't portable.
This leads us to...
In-ear headphones, this is pretty explanatory - they are the type you place in your ear and extend into the ear canal. They are relatively small, and it's the cheapest of all, although the sound quality can vary depending on the amount you spend.
Time to make your choice of Noise-cancelling headphones, I have carefully sifted through hundreds them, and I am recommending you the best ones you can get under the 150 dollars below.
Best Noise Cancellation Headphones Under 150
1. Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WHCH710N
- Cancel out the world with smart noise cancellation
- Noise cancellation automatically senses your environment with Dual Noise Sensor Technology
- Long-lasting listening with up to 35 hours of battery and quick charging
- Smartphone compatibility for hands-free calls and use with your voice assistant
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming with NFC one-touch
- Hear more detail with the 30 millimeter driver units
- Ultra-comfortable headphones design with adjustable metal sliders
- Next-generation USB type-C charging
- Connector type: USB type C
2. Philips PH805 Active Noise Canceling (ANC)
- Active Noise Canceling (Anc). Lose Yourself, Not The Music.Leave It All Behind With Active Noise Canceling. Shut Off The Noise Of A Train Or Busy Office At The Touch Of A Button. If You'Re Out And About, You Can Listen To Your Music And Stay Tuned To The Noise Of The Street In Awareness Mode.
- 30 Hours Play Time Or Talk Time (25 Hours With Anc On). On Any Trip, These Headphones Are Up To The Task. A Single Charge Takes Just 2 Hours. You Get 30 Hours Play Time (Or Talk Time) With Active Noise Canceling Off, And 25 Hours With It On.
- 40Mm Neodymium Acoustic Drivers For Highly Detailed Sound And Strong Bass
- Hi-Res Audio.Hear Every Detail.Twinkling Pianos. Blistering Rock. Whatever You Love, Hi-Res Audio Headphones Let You Feel The Full Impact Of Every Note. When Wired To A Hi-Res Source Via The Included 2.5 Mm To 3.5 Mm Cable, You'Ll Get The Full Benefit Of Lossless Audio That'S Recorded At A Higher Sample Rate Than Cds' For A Brilliantly Lifelike Performance.
3. Plantronics Wireless Noise Cancelling Backbeat
- Rich Immersive Audio: From music to movies - let Backbeat Pro 2 pull you into the richness and definition of quality audio. Enjoy high notes (crisp sound), mid-tones (natural sounds) and deep powerful bass delivers low notes with minimal distortion
- Use and Battery Time: Enjoy your listening time taking you through the longest workdays or redeye flights with up to 24 hours of music, movies and calls on a single charge. Connect to two devices at once and easily switch as needed fro concentration to conversation
- On Demand Active Noise Cancelling: Switch on active noise cancelling with one touch to minimize ambient noise and silence the world around you
- Stream Audio: Up to 10 meters/30 feet from your Class 1 Bluetooth device
- Compatibility: Talk/Stand by Time - Up to 24 hours talk and listen time; 6 months standby. Bluetooth V4.0 - Headset/Hands-Free Profile HSP 1.2 and HFP 1.6 (Wideband HD Voice); Class 1 BT Radio. Charge time - 3 hours for full charge. Microphone - Boomless dual microphone with DSP
If you’re interested in listening to your music and phone calls in peace and quiet without having to worry about a noisy environment, then you should consider using Plantronics Pro 2, which is designed with immersive, high-resolution sound in mind while also minimizing ambient sounds around you.
My favorite feature in Plantronics Backbeat pro is the Smart sensor mode, the smart sensor mode pauses your music automatically when you take them off, and then resumes it's functionality when you put them on, isn't that smart, well, yeah!
Enjoy and listen for up to 24 hours of wireless streaming (movies, music, and even calls) before switching to the cable.
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Wireless connection: Bluetooth
- 24 hours of wireless mode
- Charging USB cable, and an audio cable.
4. Utaxo Bluetooth Headphone [2019 Upgraded]
- [Headphones on, World off] upgraded hybrid active noise cancelling (ANC) technology protects your ears from excessive noise and quells airplane cabin sounds, city traffic or a busy office to help you focus on what you want to hear - your music, movies and videos.
- [Unrivaled stereo sound & pure audio power] the upgraded UTAXO hi-fi stereo sound benefits from the 45mm neodymium driver, CSR chip and delivers deep and powerful bass for an all-round impressive HD sound quality.
- [Sleek, Ultralight design] the soft protein cushions emulate human skin texture; Ultralight and ergonomically designed earmuffs for a comfortable wearing experience. Adjustable headband, 90° rotation axis for comfy all-day wear note: Please take off the headphone every 1-2hrs for a few minutes to relax your ears.
- [Hassle-free calls] built-in CVC 6. 0 noise cancelling microphone for crystal-clear calls, Bluetooth for uninterrupted connections and excellent audio transmission. You can enjoy wireless or wired mode depend on your require.
- [Rapid charge & go] Enjoy an impressive 30-hour playtime on a 1 hour charge; the 5 minute high-speed charge & go gives you more than 2 hours of playtime; note: remember to turn off the ANC when taking off the headphones to avoid battery drainage.
Honestly, I am really surprised that a headphone of this price could deliver a unique noise cancellation solution while also maintaining a transparent, high-quality sound.
The ability to listen to crystal-clear calls in ANC mode is a blessing. This is possible because of the new built-in CVC 6. 0 ( with a double microphone noise system suppression), which also helps in a seamless Bluetooth connection and an excellent audio transmission.
My main feature is the highspeed quick charge, which boosts up to 2hrs+ in a 5 min charge, while a full charge last 30+ hours.
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Built-in CVC 6.0 noise-canceling microphone for crystal clear calls.
- Wireless connection: Bluetooth
- 30 hours of playback time
- Charging USB cable, and an audio cable.
5. Sennheiser HD 450BT Bluetooth
- Bluetooth 5. 0 technology for effortless, reliable connectivity including AAC and AptX Low Latency codec support
- Active noise cancellation for uninterrupted listening pleasure
- 30-hour battery life with USB-C fast charging
- Intuitive controls, including Virtual Assistant button for Siri and Google Assistant
- Sennheiser App support providing an equalizer, Podcast Mode and Firmware updates
- Included components: HD 450BT wireless headphones, Audio cable, USB-C is charging cable, Carry case, Quick guide and safety guide
6. Cleer Audio, Enduro ANC Noise Cancelling Headphones
- SUPERIOR SOUND PERFORMANCE : Featuring our patented 40mm ironless drivers, experience high resolution sound every time you put your wireless headphones on. These wireless bluetooth noise cancelling headphones are great for phone calls with 2-mics and premium noise suppression
- ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION : Block noise up to 25dB for optimal listening experience. Quickly turn your noise cancellation on/off on the left earcup of your headphones and adjust cancellation levels in the Cleer+ app to optimize the balance between unwanted environmental sounds and audio performance for specific situations
- INDUSTRY LEADING BATTERY LIFE : Doubling the industry average battery life, experience 60 hours of playback while your Bluetooth is enabled and noise cancellation is turned on. If your battery is low, charge for 10 minutes and get 2 hours of playback. You’ll receive a USB-C charging cable, 3.5mm audio cable, airplane adapter, and carrying pouch.
- CLEER+ APP WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY : With the Cleer+ app, unlock the full performance of your Bluetooth headphones. Use the smart controls to personalize and effortlessly control your listening experience with noise-canceling and ambient noise levels. It will also provide access to EQ settings, battery level, available playback time, and user manual access.
- BLUETOOTH 5.0 WITH aptX ADAPTIVE : Connect up to two devices with Multipoint Connection and enjoy wireless connectivity with Enduro ANC’s Bluetooth 5.0 technology and experience a wireless range of up to 15 meters.
7. Philips H9505 Hybrid Active Noise Canceling
- Hybrid Active Noise Canceling. Focus where you want it: When the song deserves your full attention, these wireless headphones let you immerse. One external mic and one internal mic combine to filter out external noise. Cover the right ear cup to trigger Awareness Mode, and bring the world back in.
- Rounded over-ear design. Sleek looks, superb sound: The round earcups lend a distinctive sense of style. The over-ear fit creates a seal that passively isolates external noise. Perfectly tuned 40 mm drivers deliver deep bass, a balanced midrange, and sparkling high frequencies.
- Philips Headphones app. Custom sound control: Enhance the bass. Tone down the treble. The Philips Headphones app puts you in charge of the music you're listening to. Adjust levels yourself or choose from preset sound styles. You can also switch between preset ANC modes with a single tap.
- 27 hours play time (ANC on/off): You get 27 hours play time and the same crisp, detailed sound regardless whether ANC is turned on or off. A speedy 15-minute charge gives you an extra 5 hours play time. A full charge takes 4 hours via the included USB-C.
- Memory foam ear-cup cushions. Touch controls: The cushioned ear-cup cushions and headband are perfect for long listening sessions. There are touch controls for music and calls, and buttons on the right ear cup let you control ANC. The ear cups fold flat for easy storage.
8. JBL Lifestyle E65BTNC Over-Ear Bluetooth ANC
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
JBL Lifestyle is a lightweight, comfortable ANC headphone that is engineered to sound as accurate as possible, while also reducing noise around you. One of the features I find interesting is the ability to use an onboard mic whenever you want to receive calls.
While this headphone is of decent quality for the price and sounds comfortable, few users have been complaining about having static in one ear, this is true for some users, while it works fine for some, this is a head-up in case you are planning to buy one if you have doubts, check out other recommendation in this review guide.
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Wireless connection: Bluetooth
9. Avantree Aria Me - Bluetooth Headphones with Charging Stand & Mic
- [Optimize the Audio] Create your personalized audio profile and calibrate your Aria Me headphones through the Avantree Audio app. Once the profile is activated, All bluetooth audio received will be adjusted to fit your profile no matter what devices you connect.
- [High-Definition Sound] Use the Aria Me with an aptX-HD certified Bluetooth device and experience HD studio level audio at 24-bits, you can pick up on every details and nuances in your favorite soundtracks.
- [Active Noise Cancellation] This advanced built-in Active Noise Cancellation technology filters out low frequency ambient noises from outside and make sure they are not there to disturbe you to enjoy your immersive personally tuned audio.
- [Low Latency] Aria Me’s Qualcomm chipset enables the ultra low latency. When you pair your Aria Me with other aptX-Low Latency products you will experience perfect audio-visual synchronization zero lip-sync delay.
- [Converse with Clarity] Level up your call quality with the detachable mic. Strategically designed to be close to your mouth and catch your voice crystal clear. It also features the instant mute switch and allows you to mute yourself secretly in your zoom meetings.
10. Creative Zen Hybrid (White) Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation
- HYBRID ANC AND AMBIENT MODE - Cancel up to 95% of ambient noises with Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation, a combined technology of feedforward and feedback ANC techniques which uses a total of 4 mics that work in tandem to pick up surrounding noise and cancel them out. Switch quickly to Ambient Mode via the ANC button on the right earcup and let in outside sound to be more aware of your environment, like public announcements at train stations, or even a short chat on your coffee run
- 27 HOURS WITH ANC ON, WIRELESS AND WIRED MODES - Comes with a long-lasting battery life of up to 27 hours with ANC on (37 hours with ANC off) and recharge via the included USB-C cable. A quick 5-minute charge also provides for 5 hours of listening. Choose between wireless Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity with AAC audio codec to free up your movement or wired mode via 3.5 mm analog jack for a simple way to listen to music or watch a show
- BUILT-IN NOISE-CANCELLING MIC AND VOICE ASSISTANTS - Creative Zen Hybrid features a built-in noise-cancelling microphone that picks up your voice over the noise to be heard clearer by others on the line. Your voice also gets picked up easily via Siri or Google Assistant, making it a breeze to command the headphones without reaching for your phone. Coupled with ANC on, you will also be able to hear the caller much clearer than any generic headphones
- GREAT ACOUSTICS WITH GREAT CONVENIENCE - Custom-tuned by our very own acoustic engineers, the dual 40 mm full-range Neodymium drivers promise high-quality sound, from accurate bass with a warm sound signature to crisp, clean highs. The necessary controls are located on the right earcup so they are easy to access--answer a call, make a quick command via voice assistants, or adjust your playback volumes, directly on Creative Zen Hybrid
- MADE TO TRAVEL, DESIGNED FOR COMFORT - There are three ways for storage--flat fold, half fold, and compact fold--portable to store in your laptop carrying case or hand carry on the plane. From plush ear cushions, padded headband, to 90° swivel earcups, it is designed to last. It features reinforced steel inner core that forms the backbone of the headphones with optimal acoustic seal, and is built with extra plush synthetic leatherette that fits comfortably even after extended hours of listening